J.D. Salinger Dead at 91
Written by Pat's Papers | Friday, 29 January 2010 9:30 AM
J.D. Salinger, the reclusive author of one of this country’s defining works of fiction died at his New Hampshire home yesterday reports the Boston Globe. He was 91.
I noticed this morning that almost every paper ran an ancient picture next to his obituary. The UK’s Daily Mail says that’s because the only recent picture of him is one where he is “wearing a furious face as he fends off an intruding cameraman.”
UPDATE: See first comment below for another relatively recent Salinger photo.
Salinger was a notorious hermit, recoiling from the spotlight as “Catcher in the Rye” went on to sell 60 million copies. The Union-Leader says even after his death, his neighbors continue to vigorously guard his privacy.
Read more about J.D. Salinger on Wikipedia
Enter address below to get the morning headlines in your inbox (more details)
New on the Blog
Business Insider spent a day with me, documenting my 15-hour workday
- 4/17 Heartbreaking Text Messages from Students on Sinking Korean Ferry
- 4/21 Teen Survives Flight from San Jose to Maui in Wheel Well
- 4/18 Business Insider’s “Day in the Life” Video with Pat
- 4/11 Thousands Losing Tax Refunds Because of Parents’ Old Debts
- 4/16 The Perfect Scrambled Egg